VA offers pension benefits to the survivors of wartime Veterans who meet certain criteria. Among other requirements, yearly family income must be less than the amount set by Congress. Those eligible may receive tax-free supplemental income. VA offers the following types of pension support for Veterans’ survivors:
- Survivors Pension – Surviving spouses and dependent children of deceased wartime Veterans are eligible for monthly pension benefits if they meet the net worth and income requirements.
- Additional Pension Allowance – Surviving spouses and dependent children of deceased wartime Veterans may receive a larger pension if they are housebound or cannot perform activities of daily living without the aid of another person.
- Proof of income and net worth information (e.g., bank statements, paystubs)
- Private medical treatment records and where to find any relevant treatment records that might be held by a federal facility, such as a VA medical center
- Supplemental information for special circumstances related to pension for survivors and children of Veterans
- Completed pension program application:
- Survivors Pension – VA Form 21-534EZ
- Examination for Housebound Status or Permanent Need for Regular Aid and Attendance (both forms are needed if applying for an additional pension allowance) – VA Form 21-2680
VA Application Process
The fastest way to obtain a pension benefit decision is to file a Fully Developed Claim (FDC). Here are some typical steps in the process:
- Select the type of pension claim and gather the evidence it requires, including VA Form 21-534.
- Collect military medical and other records.
- Gather any private medical records (if required by the application).
- Certify that there is no more evidence.
- Submit your application.
Ready to find out more?
View our services
Let's Get Started!
Get immediate help with info
5 out of 5 - by Ralph P. on Aug 23, 2016
Grandma’s caregiver brings so much joy to her life. She enjoys the conversation and the time they spend together. She has helped Grandma continue to be independent and allowed me to feel secure in knowing that she is well cared for. Without Katie, Grandma’s quality of life and level of joy would be much less.
5 out of 5 - by Cindy W. on Mar 08, 2016
I have been working with Caring Hearts of Rochester for three and a half years. I am so very grateful for the wonderful care they provide to my mom. I live out of state and used to worry about mom all day long. I no longer worry about mom, ever! I visit quite frequently and enjoy the conversation & companionship of the caregivers. Mom’s caregivers see her daily and they help her with everything from cooking and cleaning to bathing and shopping. They are kind, compassionate, loving and have truly become family to mom and me. We thank God for our truly perfect situation and we thank Caring Hearts of Rochester for providing me with peace of mind and mom exceptional care. I appreciate your kindness very much. Thank you, thank you thank you!
5 out of 5 - by Bud L. on Mar 11, 2016
My mother doesn’t live nearby so I wanted someone to be with her a few days a week while I was at work. I have peace of mind knowing a responsible and kind caregiver is with her when I can’t be. Thank you very much for your wonderful care of mom.
5 out of 5 - by Shelley P. on Mar 04, 2016
Thank you for sending the most wonderful caregiver to me. She has truly brightened my life and I enjoy her very much. I love all of our fun outings we share together. Thank you for everything you do!
5 out of 5 - by Bill J. on Mar 11, 2016
I am very pleased that I chose Caring Hearts of Rochester for my father. They are truly committed to their care and the high integrity of their staff completely puts me at ease. I don’t worry about dad like I used to because I know that he is taken great care of each day. I am so thankful for your services and the two caregivers that see him during the week.
5 out of 5 - by Marilyn C. on Mar 04, 2016
When my husband returned home from the hospital, you met us with the caregiver at our home to ensure everything went smoothly. This personal introduction to our caregiver brought about an easy relationship for all of us. Since then we have really become close to her and we appreciate all that she does for our family. We continue to recommend Caring Hearts to close friends and relatives requiring assistance. Thank you!
5 out of 5 - by Ryan R. on Mar 10, 2016
We cannot thank you enough for the care you provided to mother. You have truly become family to us. We are very grateful she was able to carry out her wish to remain and pass in her home. Thank you very much for your kind and loving support.