Professional caregivers at Caring Hearts Of Rochester can support your loved one through all phases of their recovery with personal care and rehab encouragement after a stroke.
Stroke is the leading cause of acquired disability in the world. It causes changes in ability to move, judgment, emotions, perception, memory, and neglect in the affected side of the body. Taking care of the elderly at home after the person has had a stroke requires planning and organization.
Consider the following when making plans to care for someone at home who has had a stroke:
- The need for a safe and structured environment.
- Your physical and emotional health is as important as that of the person for whom you are caring for. If you are not physically able to care for someone or you have health problems that make caregiving difficult, consider getting the help of a professional caregiver.
Reasons to consider keeping your loved one at home:
- You worry your loved one will decline rapidly in a nursing home (it’s a public place).
- Loved one will not get individual attention at a nursing home
- Less control over the care your loved one receives in a nursing home
- Guilty feelings about sending someone away from their home
After a stroke efforts should be focused on rehabilitation and avoiding another stroke. Starting a rehabilitation program as soon as possible increases the chances of recovering some of the abilities impacted. It is not possible to predict how much physical ability can be regained. The more ability regained immediately after a stroke, the more independent a senior is likely to be when discharged from the hospital. After a stroke:
- Seniors usually show the greatest progress in walking during the first 6 weeks. Most recovery occurs within the first 3 months, but may continue slowly over 3 years.
- Speech (called aphasia), balance, and skills needed for day-to-day living return more slowly and may continue to improve for up to a year.
- About half of seniors who suffer a stroke have problems with coordination, communication, judgment, or behavior that affect their daily activities and personal relationships.
Professional caregivers at Caring Hearts Of Rochester can support your loved one through all phases of their recovery with encouragement. Find out how we can customize a care plan to your specific needs; call 585-245-0134 for a no obligation, free home visit evaluation by one of our dedicated Case Managers.
Looking for a job?
Use our careers page for questions & info
Let's Get Started!
Get immediate help with info
5 out of 5 - by Ralph P. on Aug 23, 2016
Grandma’s caregiver brings so much joy to her life. She enjoys the conversation and the time they spend together. She has helped Grandma continue to be independent and allowed me to feel secure in knowing that she is well cared for. Without Katie, Grandma’s quality of life and level of joy would be much less.
5 out of 5 - by Cindy W. on Mar 08, 2016
I have been working with Caring Hearts of Rochester for three and a half years. I am so very grateful for the wonderful care they provide to my mom. I live out of state and used to worry about mom all day long. I no longer worry about mom, ever! I visit quite frequently and enjoy the conversation & companionship of the caregivers. Mom’s caregivers see her daily and they help her with everything from cooking and cleaning to bathing and shopping. They are kind, compassionate, loving and have truly become family to mom and me. We thank God for our truly perfect situation and we thank Caring Hearts of Rochester for providing me with peace of mind and mom exceptional care. I appreciate your kindness very much. Thank you, thank you thank you!
5 out of 5 - by Bud L. on Mar 11, 2016
My mother doesn’t live nearby so I wanted someone to be with her a few days a week while I was at work. I have peace of mind knowing a responsible and kind caregiver is with her when I can’t be. Thank you very much for your wonderful care of mom.
5 out of 5 - by Shelley P. on Mar 04, 2016
Thank you for sending the most wonderful caregiver to me. She has truly brightened my life and I enjoy her very much. I love all of our fun outings we share together. Thank you for everything you do!
5 out of 5 - by Bill J. on Mar 11, 2016
I am very pleased that I chose Caring Hearts of Rochester for my father. They are truly committed to their care and the high integrity of their staff completely puts me at ease. I don’t worry about dad like I used to because I know that he is taken great care of each day. I am so thankful for your services and the two caregivers that see him during the week.
5 out of 5 - by Marilyn C. on Mar 04, 2016
When my husband returned home from the hospital, you met us with the caregiver at our home to ensure everything went smoothly. This personal introduction to our caregiver brought about an easy relationship for all of us. Since then we have really become close to her and we appreciate all that she does for our family. We continue to recommend Caring Hearts to close friends and relatives requiring assistance. Thank you!
5 out of 5 - by Ryan R. on Mar 10, 2016
We cannot thank you enough for the care you provided to mother. You have truly become family to us. We are very grateful she was able to carry out her wish to remain and pass in her home. Thank you very much for your kind and loving support.