Restless Leg Syndrome is a troublesome condition that many seniors face. As a family caregiver, it’s important to learn more about this condition and how it can impact your parent. Often referred to as RLS, restless leg syndrome is a frequently misunderstood and overlooked condition that can have a dramatic impact on your parent’s health, functioning, and quality of life. Understanding more about it, and being able to detect when your senior may be experiencing symptoms of RLS, can help you to ensure your parent gets the care and management they need to cope with the condition in an effective way.
Some things you should know about restless leg syndrome include:
- An unexpectedly common condition, RLS is thought to impact approximately 1 out of every 10 people throughout the United States.
- Around 2 to 3 percent of the population of the U.S. is living with moderate to severe cases of RLS.
- This accounts for more than 5 million people.
- Women are twice as likely to experience RLS as men.
- Those living with moderate RLS can experience symptoms one to two times per week.
- Those living with severe cases can experience symptoms far more frequently.
- Approximately 80 percent of of those living with RLS also have a condition known as periodic limb movement of sleep, or PLMS.
- The older a person with RLS gets, the more frequent the symptoms become, and the more severe the intensity of the symptoms generally feel.
- RLS is not an indicator of other neurological diseases.
Starting senior care for your aging parents can be a fantastic way to enhance their quality of life, as well as yours as their family caregiver. Managing all of the needs, challenges, and limitations of an elderly adult can be difficult, and even overwhelming. This is particularly true if you are like many adults and are in the sandwich generation, that is caring for both your children and your elderly adult. Having these responsibilities can leave you feeling as though you never have the time, energy, or resources to manage everything they all need.
Introducing a senior home care services provider into your care routine ensures your seniors needs are met effectively, so you can have more time and energy for the other aspects of your life while still knowing they are in good hands.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Senior Care Services in Rochester NY, contact the caring staff at Caring Hearts of Rochester today! Serving Rochester, Pittsford, Greece, Webster, Canandaigua, Fairport, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton, Henrietta and surrounding communities. Call 585-245-0134.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, the well-being and genuine health of others is our greatest concern. We are committed to providing first-class person-centered care and services for our clients and patients so they may enjoy independence and relaxed comfort in their homes or residence of choice.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, our caregivers are the most significant members of our team. They are devoted to delivering our service commitment to others.
We honor values of honesty, trust, integrity, respect and dedication. Caring Hearts of Rochester promotes a caregiving atmosphere where independence is supported, successes are attained, and a healthy culture of care is offered.
Caring Hearts of Rochester is built on a foundation of core values and dedication to client happiness, quality of life and peace of mind. Our commitment is to service excellence, personal growth, and accountability.
What makes our caregivers different?
Our top priority is excellence in care. So many businesses promise a commitment to excellence but don’t deliver. We believe our clients deserve better.
Latest posts by John Hunt (see all)
- Visiting Someone with Alzheimer’s Disease: Tips for Caregivers to Share - December 11, 2018
- Protecting Your Senior’s Home During the Holiday Season - December 4, 2018
- Creating a Relaxing Sleeping Environment for Your Senior - November 27, 2018