Getting screened for cancer can be an intimidating prospect, but it is also one of the most important steps that your senior parent can take to keep them fully informed about their health and their options for how to manage any serious health complications that might occur.
While some senior adults choose not to get screened for cancer because they know that they will not seek treatment due to their other health complications, their age, or other reasons, if your aging parent has decided to get the full information about their health by getting screened, it is important that you properly prepare them for this screening process.
Like any other doctor’s appointment, what your parent does ahead of time can make a tremendous difference in how they handle their screening appointment. Use these tips to help your loved one prepare for a cancer screening appointment:
• Get full instructions. Sit down with your parent’s doctor and get full instructions for what your parent will need to do to prepare for their screening. This might include taking certain medications, not eating certain foods, or avoiding certain things when leading up to the appointment. Encourage them to follow those instructions completely and carefully.
• Talk to them about the benefits. Take some time to talk to your parent about why they are getting the screening and the benefits that can come from this type of screening. This can include allowing them to make informed decisions about treatment options, giving a full view of family health history, and more. This is also a great time to talk about their emotions regarding this appointment and the possibility that they have cancer.
• Encourage them to start making decisions. Before your senior goes for their screening, encourage them to think about what they would do if they did find out that they have cancer. What type of treatment might they pursue? Would they pursue treatment at all? Would they want to get another opinion? Talking about this now can help them to make decisions with less emotion involved so that they have a stronger foundation of decision-making if the time comes.
If your sewnior loved one has recently been diagnosed with cancer, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting senior care for them. A senior home care services provider can be with your elderly parent on a customized schedule that ensures that they always have access to the support, care, encouragement, and assistance that they need when they need it, while also encouraging them to maintain as much independence, autonomy, activity, engagement, and fulfillment as possible as they age in place.
This includes devising a highly personalized set of services tailored to not just their specific challenges, limitations, and health condition, but also the wishes that they have regarding their care and lifestyle during this journey. As their family caregiver this can give you a tremendous sense of confidence and peace of mind knowing that they are getting everything that they need and that their wishes are being respected both when you are with them and when you are not.
One particularly valuable service that a senior care provider can offer to your aging parent is giving them reliable transportation and assistance during medical appointments. Not only does this ensure that they get to the appointments when they need to, but it also provides your parent with valuable companionship, support, and encouragement. This helps them to make the most of their appointment and can ease anxiety.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Senior Care Services in Fairport NY, contact the caring staff at Caring Hearts of Rochester today! Serving Rochester, Pittsford, Greece, Webster, Canandaigua, Fairport, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton, Henrietta and surrounding communities. Call 585-245-0134.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, the well-being and genuine health of others is our greatest concern. We are committed to providing first-class person-centered care and services for our clients and patients so they may enjoy independence and relaxed comfort in their homes or residence of choice.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, our caregivers are the most significant members of our team. They are devoted to delivering our service commitment to others.
We honor values of honesty, trust, integrity, respect and dedication. Caring Hearts of Rochester promotes a caregiving atmosphere where independence is supported, successes are attained, and a healthy culture of care is offered.
Caring Hearts of Rochester is built on a foundation of core values and dedication to client happiness, quality of life and peace of mind. Our commitment is to service excellence, personal growth, and accountability.
What makes our caregivers different?
Our top priority is excellence in care. So many businesses promise a commitment to excellence but don’t deliver. We believe our clients deserve better.
Latest posts by John Hunt (see all)
- What Types of Communication Changes May Your Parent Experience After a Stroke? - February 12, 2019
- How Do You Decide When Your Mom’s Home is No Longer Safe for Her? - February 7, 2019
- Could Your Oral Health Be Linked to Alzheimer’s? - January 29, 2019