If you are considering becoming a family caregiver for your elderly parent, or you have recently started such a journey, it is extremely important that you pay close attention to your own needs and well-being so that you can avoid potentially serious consequences. One of the most serious complications that you can face is caregiver burnout. This is total mental, emotional, and physical exhaustion that can lead to disconnection, loss of motivation, and other consequences. Fortunately there are ways that you can protect yourself from this serious issue.
Some things that you can do to prevent caregiver burnout include:
• Recognize your risk factors. Some people are at greater risk of suffering burnout. If you are female, suffer from depression, did not want to be a caregiver, or are living with your elderly parent, you are at greater risk. Being aware of this can help you to better pay attention to your needs and potentially prevent the issue.
• Seek social support. Not having social support is a major risk factor for burnout. Seek out someone who you care about and trust, such as your partner, a neighbor, or a friend, who you can talk to about what you are going through, and who you can spend time with away from your care efforts.
• Set goals. It is easy to feel out of control when you are caring for an elderly adult. Setting goals and pursuing those is a way to give your care efforts structure and allow you to have a sense of accomplishment as you get through each of these goals.
• Schedule time for yourself. When you are coming up with your schedule for the month, week, or even day, do not forget about yourself. Schedule time that you will devote to yourself and your own needs, and follow through with that schedule as much as you would any other task or obligation.
• Accept your limitations. You may want to do everything for your parent and have difficulty trusting your loved one’s needs to anyone else. Most likely, however, you cannot take on all of these needs yourself. This is especially true if you are caring for your children, managing a career, and maintaining a household. Accept your limitations and be willing to seek help so that everything is fulfilled properly without sacrificing results.
If you have been looking for ways to enhance your aging parent’s quality of life and ensure that they get all of the care, support, assistance, and encouragement that they need throughout their later years, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting elder homecare for them.
An elderly homecare services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they are with them as much as they need to be, while also keeping you at the forefront of their care routine. Through a set of highly personalized services your parent can maintain a high level of physical activity, engage with the world around them, keep their mind active, and support as much independence as possible as they age in place.
As their family caregiver this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that even when you are not able to be with your parent, they are still in good hands.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Homecare Services in Brighton NY, contact the caring staff at Caring Hearts of Rochester today! Serving Rochester, Pittsford, Greece, Webster, Canandaigua, Fairport, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton, Henrietta and surrounding communities. Call 585-245-0134.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, the well-being and genuine health of others is our greatest concern. We are committed to providing first-class person-centered care and services for our clients and patients so they may enjoy independence and relaxed comfort in their homes or residence of choice.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, our caregivers are the most significant members of our team. They are devoted to delivering our service commitment to others.
We honor values of honesty, trust, integrity, respect and dedication. Caring Hearts of Rochester promotes a caregiving atmosphere where independence is supported, successes are attained, and a healthy culture of care is offered.
Caring Hearts of Rochester is built on a foundation of core values and dedication to client happiness, quality of life and peace of mind. Our commitment is to service excellence, personal growth, and accountability.
What makes our caregivers different?
Our top priority is excellence in care. So many businesses promise a commitment to excellence but don’t deliver. We believe our clients deserve better.
Latest posts by John Hunt (see all)
- What Types of Communication Changes May Your Parent Experience After a Stroke? - February 12, 2019
- How Do You Decide When Your Mom’s Home is No Longer Safe for Her? - February 7, 2019
- Could Your Oral Health Be Linked to Alzheimer’s? - January 29, 2019