Home Health Care Fairport NY
Virtually everyone has experienced the painful, scratchy, and uncomfortable symptoms of a sore throat. These can make you feel terrible, and leave you unable to talk, drink, or eat comfortable for days at a time. While there are many illnesses and issues that can cause a sore throat, the one that often pops into the mind of anyone who is caring for a loved one suffering these symptoms is strep throat. Understanding this condition can help you to determine if your aging parent might be dealing with this infection or if it could be something else. If you suspect that your elderly loved one is dealing with strep throat, or they have had a sore throat that has lasted more than 3 days or is accompanied by a fever or vomiting, it is important that they get to the doctor as quickly as possible for a thorough examination. Prompt diagnosis is important to getting your parent on the course of treatment and management that is right for them.
Some things that you should know about strep throat include:
- Strep throat is caused by a group of bacteria referred to as “group A Streptococcus bacteria” or “group A strep”. This type of bacteria can live in the nostrils or throat without causing illness.
- Strep is highly contagious and spreads through the coughing or sneezing of a person who is infected with the illness, or from eating or drinking after someone who is infected with the illness.
- Group A strep can also cause skin infections that can then transfer to another person and develop as a strep throat infection.
- Not all sore throats are related to strep throat.
- Other causes of sore throat can include allergens, exposure to cigarette smoke, viruses, other bacteria, postnasal drip, and exposure to fungi or mold.
Strep throat is a relatively common affliction of childhood, but becomes less common as a person gets older. This does not mean, however, that older people cannot get strep throat. Adults, including older adults, can and do get strep throat. This is why it is important not to automatically discount the possibility of strep throat if your aging parent starts to experience symptoms such as a severely sore throat. The test to determine if a sore throat is strep throat is very quick and painless, and it allows the doctor to determine what type of treatment option would be best for your aging loved one. Frequently this involves a course of antibiotics to clear the infection as well as recommendations for over the counter and home remedies to ease the symptoms.
If your parent is suffering from strep throat, elderly home health care can help them to make the most of their recovery time by giving them the health care that they need to allow them to rest, relax, and focus on letting their body heal. This can be extremely important to making sure that your parent recovers fully and is protected from further infections and illnesses that could put them at even more serious risk.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Home Health Care Services in Fairport NY, contact the caring staff at Caring Hearts of Rochester today! Serving Rochester, Pittsford, Greece, Webster, Canandaigua, Fairport, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton, Henrietta and surrounding communities. Call 585-245-0134.
Latest posts by superadmin (see all)
- Taking Care of Yourself While Caring for an Elderly Parent - February 2, 2017
- Is it Time to Talk to Your Elderly Loved One about Moving? - January 26, 2017
- Why Is Your Elderly Loved One Dizzy When They Stand Up? - January 19, 2017