Home Care Rochester NY
Low vision is one of the most common challenges of older age, but it can also be one of the most negatively impactful to your elderly loved one’s quality of life if they do not manage it properly. Even if they are only dealing with mildly to moderately impaired acuity to their vision, your parent might struggle to complete their daily tasks with as much confidence and success as they did when they were younger. Fortunately there are meaningful modifications that you can make within their home to help them handle their low vision while staying safe, comfortable, and healthy.
Some of the meaningful modifications that you can make to your parent’s home to help them handle low vision safely include:
• Add extra lighting. If your parent is dealing with lower visual acuity, more light can make a tremendous difference in their life. Recessed lighting, extra lamps, and brighter overhead lighting can allow your parent to adjust the amount of light for each task that they face during the day.
• Mark steps. Getting up and down the steps can be challenging when your parent is not seeing as well as they used to. This can cause them to trip or slip, potentially leading to a serious fall that could result in devastating injuries. Consider marking steps with pieces of tape so that they are more visible. This is especially important if your parent’s floor and steps are the same color and may blend together in their field of vision.
• Add magnifying tools. Reading books, doing crafts, and even utilizing technology such as a tablet or mobile device can be challenging for a senior who is dealing with low vision. Magnifying tools can make this easier for them. Consider screen magnifiers that you can attach to your parent’s technology to help them to utilize it more effectively, or lighted magnifiers that they can place over their crafts to enable them to continue to enjoy these activities even though their vision is not as strong as it once was.
If your elderly adult is coping with low vision, now is the ideal time for you to consider starting senior home care for them. A senior home care services provider can be with your aging loved one on the schedule that is appropriate for their specific needs and for the care efforts that you are able to give them. This enables the care provider to create a personalized approach to care tailored specifically to address your senior’s limitations and challenges in the way that is right for them. When it comes to helping your elderly loved one cope with their low vision, this care provider can help your parent to modify their daily tasks so that they are able to continue handling them as independently as possible. This keeps them safer, happier, healthier, and more engaged in the world around them. As both their family caregiver and their adult child, this can help you to feel more confident that they are getting everything that they need whether you are able to be in the home with them or not.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Home Care Services in Rochester NY, contact the caring staff at Caring Hearts of Rochester today! Serving Rochester, Pittsford, Greece, Webster, Canandaigua, Fairport, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton, Henrietta and surrounding communities. Call 585-245-0134.
Latest posts by superadmin (see all)
- Taking Care of Yourself While Caring for an Elderly Parent - February 2, 2017
- Is it Time to Talk to Your Elderly Loved One about Moving? - January 26, 2017
- Why Is Your Elderly Loved One Dizzy When They Stand Up? - January 19, 2017