Family caregivers have the added responsibility of watching out for the health and wellness of their elderly relatives. Elderly people are more likely to have health issues due to age, and they are at a higher risk of getting illnesses, injuries and diseases. Even with the help of other family members, home care assistants and community resources, the elderly person really does depend on the caregiver to be the first and best resource when it comes to identifying and dealing with age related health challenges.
While advancements in medical care and treatment means that men and women are living longer than ever before, there are still several age related health conditions that can affect their lives, from mild to severe. Knowing about the most common age related health challenges can help family caregivers, home care aides and seniors the information they need to watch out for symptoms so they can get professional help right away.
Here are 10 of the most common age related health conditions and challenges for elderly people:
- Arthritis: There are several different types of arthritis, which refers to joint pain and disease that is characterized by inflammation, pain, stiffness and swelling.
- Cardiovascular Disease: Cardiovascular disease includes all the diseases concerning the heart or the system of blood vessels throughout the body. Cardiovascular diseases include high blood pressure, strokes, rheumatic heart disease, angina, congenital heart disease and arrhythmia.
- Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis affects bone mass or density. It is a condition that happens when body loses too much bone mass, making it weak and fragile, and therefore susceptible to breaking.
- Diabetes: This chronic condition happens when the body does not process blood sugar, known as glucose, in the normal way. Prediabetes means that the blood sugar is high and nearing diabetes levels.
- Alzheimer’s Disease: It’s a progressive disease that affects the memory and other mental functions. While it starts out mild, it triggers a slow decline in thinking, memory and cognitive ability.
- Influenza: This viral infection causes muscle aches and a fever, but can be harmful or even deadly to high risk groups such as elderly people.
- Pneumonia: It can be mild or severe, and centers on the lungs. Air sacs fill with fluid creating inflammation and infection.
- Oral Health: Seniors face numerous oral health challenges, and regular dental visits can help them with natural teeth, dentures, and gum and bone issues.
- Depression: This mental health disorder is common in the elderly, and it is characterized by a loss of interest in daily life, depressed mood and an interference with traditional activities.
- Slip and Fall: Balance becomes compromised with age, and many seniors can experience severe injuries due to slip and fall accidents, especially in the bathroom and kitchen.
Eventually, an elderly person requires help from family caregivers, home care assistants and others to monitor their health and wellness. Knowing some of the most common age-related health challenges will enable those who support elderly people to spot issues and get treatment started early on.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Home Care Services in Rochester NY, contact the caring staff at Caring Hearts of Rochester today! Serving Rochester, Pittsford, Greece, Webster, Canandaigua, Fairport, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton, Henrietta and surrounding communities. Call 585-245-0134.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, the well-being and genuine health of others is our greatest concern. We are committed to providing first-class person-centered care and services for our clients and patients so they may enjoy independence and relaxed comfort in their homes or residence of choice.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, our caregivers are the most significant members of our team. They are devoted to delivering our service commitment to others.
We honor values of honesty, trust, integrity, respect and dedication. Caring Hearts of Rochester promotes a caregiving atmosphere where independence is supported, successes are attained, and a healthy culture of care is offered.
Caring Hearts of Rochester is built on a foundation of core values and dedication to client happiness, quality of life and peace of mind. Our commitment is to service excellence, personal growth, and accountability.
What makes our caregivers different?
Our top priority is excellence in care. So many businesses promise a commitment to excellence but don’t deliver. We believe our clients deserve better.