Elder Care Fairport NY
Spending time with others is a critical part of maintaining mental and emotional health. During cold and flu season, however, interacting with others could put your elder parent at increased risk of serious health consequences. This does not mean, of course, that your parent should not spend time with others during the fall and winter months. Instead, it is part of your responsibilities as their family caregiver to help them to still get this vital social interaction and support while also protecting themselves from the germs that might be too much for their lower immune system to handle.
Use these tips to help your aging parent control germs when they are having visitors:
• Ask them to be courteous. Your parent might not feel right rejecting visits from their friends and family members, but it is important that they are aware of the risks that they could face when these people come into their home. Ask potential visitors to not come into the home if they have been sick recently, have a fever, are coughing or sneezing, or have recently been exposed to somehow who has been ill.
• Kill germs before contact. Have containers of hand sanitizing gel readily available throughout the home so that your parent’s visitors can use them before they come into contact with your parent. Choose gels that use alcohol as their germ killing ingredient and look for ones with fragrances that make cleaning their hands pleasant.
• Have supplies on hand. Make sure that your parent’s home is properly equipped with items that might be needed to handle potential germ situations. This should include tissues, sanitizing wipes for surfaces, and basic items such as lip balm in individual containers so that your parent is not tempted to share and possibly spread germs.
• Contain the visitors. As much as possible, contain the visitors. Try not to allow them to move throughout the home as this could cause them to spread germs extensively. Instead, keep them in only one or two spaces in the house, and try to prevent them from going into your parent’s bedroom or kitchen, where germ control efforts are most important.
An elder care provider can be extremely helpful when it comes to protecting your senior from germs. This elderly home care services provider can be with your aging loved one to give them a personalized approach to care tailored around not only their individual needs and challenges, but also the type of germ control efforts that are right for their particular lifestyle. Through the custom support of this care provider, your parent can live a lifestyle that is healthy, resilient, and strong. When it comes to practicing germ control when welcoming visitors for your aging parent, this can include asking the visitors to comply with the measures put into place, reminding your loved one to follow through with their own germ control, and continuing with cleaning techniques to reduce germs in the home after visits.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Elder Care Services in Fairport NY, contact the caring staff at Caring Hearts of Rochester today! Serving Rochester, Pittsford, Greece, Webster, Canandaigua, Fairport, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton, Henrietta and surrounding communities. Call 585-245-0134.
Latest posts by superadmin (see all)
- Taking Care of Yourself While Caring for an Elderly Parent - February 2, 2017
- Is it Time to Talk to Your Elderly Loved One about Moving? - January 26, 2017
- Why Is Your Elderly Loved One Dizzy When They Stand Up? - January 19, 2017