As memories of the summer fade away and the fall season settles in, many people welcome the cooler temperatures, feeling a relief from the searing heat of the last few months and getting the first glimpse of holidays to come.
In your role as a family caregiver, however, it is important that you understand that the cold can be more impactful for your elder parent. Elderly adults are far more vulnerable to cold temperatures than younger adults, and can even suffer hypothermia in homes that are between 60 and 65 degrees. Keeping your senior parent warm enough throughout the fall and impending winter season is an important part of protecting their health and well-being so they can continue enjoying the highest quality of life as they age in place.
Use these tips to keep your parent warm as they weather cools:
- Layer clothes to trap warmth between layers. They can always take off layers if they feel too warm.
- Keep blankets around the house so it is easy for them to curl up in one when watching TV or reading for extra warmth.
- Make sure that they wear socks, even if they are wearing slippers, to prevent heat loss from their feet.
- Go through their home and make sure that all windows and doors are properly sealed to prevent cold air from getting in and warm air from getting out.
- Encourage your parent to sip hot beverages and foods such as soups.
- Keep the thermostat at a consistently warm temperature of no less than 68 degrees.
- Talk to your parent’s doctor about their medications to find out if they might increase their risk of hypothermia and if they can offer you suggestions for how to keep your parent warmer while they remain compliant with their medications.
Being a family caregiver for an elder adult can be challenging and stressful. Fortunately, elder care can help. An elder care provider can be with your parent to fill any care gaps that might exist, ensuring that your senior gets all of the care, support, assistance, and encouragement that they need to stay as healthy, safe, comfortable, and happy as possible.
Through a set of highly personalized services this care provider can help your parent to pursue a lifestyle that is as fulfilling, active, and independent as possible while they age in place, while also helping them to reach their care goals. As a family caregiver, this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that when you are not able to be with your parent, they are still in good hands, getting everything that they need to maintain their quality of life. This enables you to not only focus more on the quality of care that you give your parent, but also on the other needs and obligations in your life.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Elder Care Services in Canandaigua NY, contact the caring staff at Caring Hearts of Rochester today! Serving Rochester, Pittsford, Greece, Webster, Canandaigua, Fairport, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton, Henrietta and surrounding communities. Call 585-245-0134.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, the well-being and genuine health of others is our greatest concern. We are committed to providing first-class person-centered care and services for our clients and patients so they may enjoy independence and relaxed comfort in their homes or residence of choice.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, our caregivers are the most significant members of our team. They are devoted to delivering our service commitment to others.
We honor values of honesty, trust, integrity, respect and dedication. Caring Hearts of Rochester promotes a caregiving atmosphere where independence is supported, successes are attained, and a healthy culture of care is offered.
Caring Hearts of Rochester is built on a foundation of core values and dedication to client happiness, quality of life and peace of mind. Our commitment is to service excellence, personal growth, and accountability.
What makes our caregivers different?
Our top priority is excellence in care. So many businesses promise a commitment to excellence but don’t deliver. We believe our clients deserve better.