Home Care in Brighton, NY
When you made the decision to take on the role as a family caregiver for your elderly parents it is because you noticed signs that your loved ones were facing physical, mobility, or cognitive challenges that made it difficult or even impossible for them to meet their daily needs independently. This realization and the thought of having to step in to give your elderly parents the care and assistance they need was likely emotionally trying and stressful. While coping with your own emotional response to this shift in your relationship with your seniors you may not have been able to focus on their emotional response and how challenging this shift was for them, leading to even more stress within the care arrangement.
Many seniors, particularly initially, are extremely reluctant to accept their own challenges and limitations, and even more reluctant to allow their adult child to become their caregiver. This can lead to them refusing to admit their limitations and needs or ask for the help they need. When encountering this reluctance with your aging parents one of the ways you can not only ease their anxiety but also ensure they get the level of care they need is to hire an in home health care services provider.
Establishing a home care relationship for your aging parents when they are resistant to asking for help can offer a range of benefits, including:
• Removing the personal element. For many seniors, reluctance to ask for help from their adult children stems from discomfort that comes from the personal nature of their needs. Many older adults have strong views about modesty and what is appropriate in terms of a relationship between a parent and child, making it difficult for them to cope with the idea of their child bathing, dressing, or even helping them move around. A home care provider removes this personal element and replaces it with a reliable, neutral professional.
• Eliminating the sense of being a burden. If you have children of your own, a career, or other obligations, your elderly parents may feel like asking for help would place an additional burden on you. They may not want to be in the way or take time away from the other things you need to do in life. Having an in home health care services provider takes the time investment off of you, letting your parents feel more relaxed about admitting the actual level of care they require.
• Easing embarrassment. If you are a parent, you know what it is like to want your children to look up to you, admire you, and see you as a strong and reliable person. Simply because you are an adult does not mean that your own parents do not still want this perception from you. Because of this, they could be embarrassed about admitting the types of care and assistance that they need. As the people who took care of you and handled all of your needs when you were younger, it can be hard for them to admit that they are no longer able to take care of themselves. Introducing a home care provider removes this degree of embarrassment and lets them be open about their needs so you can work with the care provider to devise a care plan ideal for them.
Get in touch with the elder care agency in your area to find out more about hiring a home care provider who can reach out to your elderly loved ones and help you understand their needs and how you can work with the care provider to ensure these needs are met.
If you have a loved one who could benefit from the help of home care in Brighton, NY contact the caregivers at Caring Hearts of Rochester, LLC. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care service. Call (585) 245-0134 for more information.
Latest posts by superadmin (see all)
- Taking Care of Yourself While Caring for an Elderly Parent - February 2, 2017
- Is it Time to Talk to Your Elderly Loved One about Moving? - January 26, 2017
- Why Is Your Elderly Loved One Dizzy When They Stand Up? - January 19, 2017