COPD Care at Home
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) includes chronic bronchitis, emphysema or both.
By learning about symptoms and what causes them, you can gain a better feel for when the person you’re caring for is having good days—or bad days—and when it’s appropriate to call a healthcare provider if COPD symptoms get worse.
It’s also important that you recognize what exacerbations are, why they occur, and how to help prevent them.
- Exacerbations are when symptoms are worse than usual.
- This can last for a few days or longer and often requires treatment with antibiotics, oral steroids, and, in some cases, hospitalization.
- COPD symptoms keep many people from making plans for their day or cause plans to be cancelled because of unexpected discomfort due to coughing, shortness of breath, and wheezing.
- Avoiding public places during cold and flu season and eating a balanced diet and taking medication regularly are very important for people with COPD.
- Care at home allows people to avoid outside germs which may cause respiratory infections and to rest in familiar surroundings on days when breathing is difficult.
People with COPD can become exhausted just trying to do daily household chores and not have the energy to enjoy life.
- A devoted caregiver from Caring Hearts of Rochester can take care of routine chores, fix meals, and do laundry so people with this illness can have the energy to enjoy their home and family.
- Caregivers can encourage regular exercise which can reduce symptoms and increase your endurance.
- Talk to your doctor about how much physical activity and what kinds of activities are best for you.
- These might be stretching exercises, an aerobic exercise like walking, or exercise aimed at strengthening your muscles.
Of course, there are many things you can do on your own.
If you smoke, talk to your doctor about stopping and choosing a healthy diet. Colds, the flu, and other respiratory infections cause problems for people with COPD, so it’s important that you do your best to avoid them and consider the appropriate vaccinations.
Caring Hearts of Rochester is a leader in home care. Call us today to find out how the support of a professional caregiver can improve the quality of life for your loved one and your family.
Call us today at 585-245-0134.
Looking for a job?
Use our careers page for questions & info
Let's Get Started!
Get immediate help with info
5 out of 5 - by Ralph P. on Aug 23, 2016
Grandma’s caregiver brings so much joy to her life. She enjoys the conversation and the time they spend together. She has helped Grandma continue to be independent and allowed me to feel secure in knowing that she is well cared for. Without Katie, Grandma’s quality of life and level of joy would be much less.
5 out of 5 - by Cindy W. on Mar 08, 2016
I have been working with Caring Hearts of Rochester for three and a half years. I am so very grateful for the wonderful care they provide to my mom. I live out of state and used to worry about mom all day long. I no longer worry about mom, ever! I visit quite frequently and enjoy the conversation & companionship of the caregivers. Mom’s caregivers see her daily and they help her with everything from cooking and cleaning to bathing and shopping. They are kind, compassionate, loving and have truly become family to mom and me. We thank God for our truly perfect situation and we thank Caring Hearts of Rochester for providing me with peace of mind and mom exceptional care. I appreciate your kindness very much. Thank you, thank you thank you!
5 out of 5 - by Bud L. on Mar 11, 2016
My mother doesn’t live nearby so I wanted someone to be with her a few days a week while I was at work. I have peace of mind knowing a responsible and kind caregiver is with her when I can’t be. Thank you very much for your wonderful care of mom.
5 out of 5 - by Shelley P. on Mar 04, 2016
Thank you for sending the most wonderful caregiver to me. She has truly brightened my life and I enjoy her very much. I love all of our fun outings we share together. Thank you for everything you do!
5 out of 5 - by Bill J. on Mar 11, 2016
I am very pleased that I chose Caring Hearts of Rochester for my father. They are truly committed to their care and the high integrity of their staff completely puts me at ease. I don’t worry about dad like I used to because I know that he is taken great care of each day. I am so thankful for your services and the two caregivers that see him during the week.
5 out of 5 - by Marilyn C. on Mar 04, 2016
When my husband returned home from the hospital, you met us with the caregiver at our home to ensure everything went smoothly. This personal introduction to our caregiver brought about an easy relationship for all of us. Since then we have really become close to her and we appreciate all that she does for our family. We continue to recommend Caring Hearts to close friends and relatives requiring assistance. Thank you!
5 out of 5 - by Ryan R. on Mar 10, 2016
We cannot thank you enough for the care you provided to mother. You have truly become family to us. We are very grateful she was able to carry out her wish to remain and pass in her home. Thank you very much for your kind and loving support.