Whether you plan on taking care of an aging loved one, such as your mother or father, or you are going to hire professional elder care services, it’s important to remember that communication is vital. If you don’t communicate what your parent needs to a professional elder care provider or you are unable to talk frankly with your loved one about his or her needs, then it is going to be more challenging to provide the level of care and assistance that they need in order to remain in the comfort of their home.
- Learn to ask questions. The only way that we truly know what someone needs, whether it’s your loved one or a professional elderly care provider, is to ask questions. Asking the right questions is almost as important as asking ten different questions. You need to be able to understand where someone is coming from in order to understand where they want to go. If you don’t ask, you won’t know and this could leave you guessing, which is along the lines of assuming and we all know where that leads us.
- Enhance your listening skills. Just as important as asking questions is listening. A lot of people are good at sitting there and listening to words that are being said, but they don’t actually hear what the other person is saying. You may have your own mind made up about how something should be, but it may not be the best way for your loved one or for a caregiver. Learn to take a moment and actually pay attention to what someone is saying, rather than ‘yessing’ them to death and ignoring everything they say, anyway.
- Observe. Not all communication is done with words. Sometimes it is accomplished through the use of hand gestures (no, not that one) and body language. If someone is drooping their shoulders or appears rundown and worn out, this can tell a lot about them. If they tend to become short tempered when they are usually even keeled, they could be under tremendous stress.
Human beings have an unmatched ability in the world to communicate through a number of different avenues. Most of the time, though, we barely pay attention to one of them and the rest of the time we’re misinterpreting the other forms of communication. If you want your loved one to have the best elder care services possible, whether you’re providing them or hiring a professional, make sure that your communication skills are fine-tuned.
When you communicate well, anything is possible.
If you have a loved one who could benefit from the help of elderly care services in Rochester, NY contact the caregivers at Caring Hearts of Rochester, LLC. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care service. Call (585) 245-0134 for more information.
Latest posts by superadmin (see all)
- Taking Care of Yourself While Caring for an Elderly Parent - February 2, 2017
- Is it Time to Talk to Your Elderly Loved One about Moving? - January 26, 2017
- Why Is Your Elderly Loved One Dizzy When They Stand Up? - January 19, 2017