Communication is the cornerstone of a healthy relationship. Ask any couple that has been married for more than 25 years and you will hear this mantra over and over: that communication is essential. When it comes to a caregiver, whether it’s someone you hired through an agency or an independent contractor, you need to know how to communicate with them to maximize the effectiveness of their service and care.
There are a number of things that you can do to help improve communication with anyone, so when it comes to an in home care provider for your mother, for example, follow these three tips that can help you improve the lines of communication with them.
- Express openness, but make a two-way street. Being open and allowing someone to be open with you is the key to long-term success in a relationship. If you want to tell someone about the problems that you see or are worried about, but you don’t allow them to do the same, you are muting the communication lines and that leads to frustration.
- Schedule a regular time to talk and meet. You could schedule a time with the home care provider and your mother to sit down and discuss any grievances or problems that they have. This would be the time to talk about any problems that someone has with a situation or other individual in an open and honest way. You might want to meet once every other week or once a month, for example.
- Encourage honesty. If someone feels that they can’t be completely honest with another person, then they will tend to keep some of their thoughts and opinions to themselves. This will not benefit anyone and it will usually only lead to animosity. Make sure that even if the caregiver is frustrated or having trouble dealing with your mother than you listen with an open mind. You don’t have to agree, but you should be able to listen and allow them the opportunity to express their opinions and this goes for your loved one as well.
If you find that you can’t develop an open and honest form of communication with the home care provider, then you should contact the agency that place them, or seek outside help to open those important lines of communication. The more open the lines of communication, the more positive the care will become for your loved one.
If you have a loved one who could benefit from the help of caregiver services in Cananduiga, NY contact the caregivers at Caring Hearts of Rochester, LLC. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care service. Call (585) 245-0134 for more information.
Latest posts by superadmin (see all)
- Taking Care of Yourself While Caring for an Elderly Parent - February 2, 2017
- Is it Time to Talk to Your Elderly Loved One about Moving? - January 26, 2017
- Why Is Your Elderly Loved One Dizzy When They Stand Up? - January 19, 2017