In your role as a family caregiver you will need to use a wide variety of tools and skills to ensure that you can give your parent the level of care, support, and assistance that they need to give them the quality of life that they deserve. One of the most important is effective listening.
March is International Listening Awareness Month. This is the ideal opportunity for you to understand the importance of listening throughout your care journey with your parent, and how to integrate active listening techniques into your routine so that you can support your relationship and improve your efforts daily.
The value of active listening in your caregiver role with your elderly parent include:
• Respect. Respect is an important concept for all people, but is often something that elderly adults feel as though they do not receive as they get older. Active listening is a means of showing someone that you care about them and what they are saying, and that you value their opinions, thoughts, and contributions.
• Learn more. As a caregiver you want to give your loved one all the care that they need and deserve, but it is also extremely important that you give them the care that they want. You might have a routine in your mind, but it is vital that you are also cognizant and respectful of your parent’s opinions and how they feel. This is also a way for you to monitor their health conditions and symptoms by detecting changes in how they describe things, the words that they choose, and other factors. Active listening enables you to learn more about your parent and ensure that you can give them the right care as they age.
• Strengthen your bond. The care that you give your parent is not the only thing that matters in your relationship. As they age it is important that you continue to focus on your parent-child relationship and the bond that you share in that relationship. Active listening keeps you more closely connected and supports a stronger, more meaningful, and valuable relationship that allows you to make treasured memories, give meaning to your parent’s later years, and support better mental and emotional health for both of you.
Ensuring that your senior adult lives the highest quality of life possible as they age in place is not just about making sure that their physical needs and challenges are handled on daily basis. To truly give your aging loved one the care that they need, it is also important to address their mental, emotional, and cognitive needs throughout their later years.
This can help them to stay motivated, encourage more activity and engagement, and improve your parent-child relation with them as well as their relationships with others. Together with addressing their physical needs this supports greater meaning and fulfillment in their life as they age in place.
If you have been looking for ways that you can boost your parent’s quality of life, diversify their care and activity, and give them the lifestyle that you know they desire and deserve, starting senior care for them may be the ideal solution. In addition to creating a highly personalized approach to their care that supports their physical challenges and needs, a senior home care services provider can give them companionship and social engagement that keeps their mental and emotional health at its best as they age.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Home Health Care Services in Brighton NY, contact the caring staff at Caring Hearts of Rochester today! Serving Rochester, Pittsford, Greece, Webster, Canandaigua, Fairport, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton, Henrietta and surrounding communities. Call 585-245-0134.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, the well-being and genuine health of others is our greatest concern. We are committed to providing first-class person-centered care and services for our clients and patients so they may enjoy independence and relaxed comfort in their homes or residence of choice.
At Caring Hearts of Rochester, our caregivers are the most significant members of our team. They are devoted to delivering our service commitment to others.
We honor values of honesty, trust, integrity, respect and dedication. Caring Hearts of Rochester promotes a caregiving atmosphere where independence is supported, successes are attained, and a healthy culture of care is offered.
Caring Hearts of Rochester is built on a foundation of core values and dedication to client happiness, quality of life and peace of mind. Our commitment is to service excellence, personal growth, and accountability.
What makes our caregivers different?
Our top priority is excellence in care. So many businesses promise a commitment to excellence but don’t deliver. We believe our clients deserve better.
Latest posts by John Hunt (see all)
- How Can You Divide Care Responsibilities with Your Siblings? - July 18, 2018
- Is Caring for the Elderly Really as Difficult as Some Say? - July 10, 2018
- Is Vermicomposting Better for Your Elderly Parent? - July 5, 2018